Dr John Bashford
BMedSci, MBBS (Hons 1, Qld), FRACP, FRCPA, MAICD
Dr Bashford is Director of Research at Icon Group and Senior Medical Consultant. He supervises a large portfolio of clinical trials in private cancer care across Australia. He also helps to embed clinical research across Icon Group nationally and internationally and is currently Board Chair of Icon Cancer Foundation (2015-now).
He graduated from the University of Queensland in 1980 with a Bachelor of Medical Science and a Bachelor of Medicine/Bachelor of Surgery (Hons 1). In 1990, he completed post-graduate training in clinical haematology and medical oncology, working in Brisbane, Melbourne and the United Kingdom before returning to Queensland to take on specialist practice. Dr Bashford practiced clinical haematology and medical oncology at the Wesley and Mater Private Hospitals until 2018. During this time, he:
- Became a Board Director of the Wesley Clinic for Haematology and Oncology and Wesley Clinic Research Centre (1994)
- Was Director of the Wesley Hospital Stem Cell Transplant Laboratory and Clinical Programme (1995-2017)
- Was closely involved in the commissioning of the Mater Private Centre for Haematology and Oncology and negotiated Medicare funding for stem cell transplantation (1996)
- Was Chairman of the Haematology and Oncology Clinics of Australia (now Icon Group) Board (2001-2007)
- Negotiated the formation of Icon Group for the medical partners (2011-2012)
Dr Bashford was also the Foundation President of the Private Cancer Physicians of Australia (2007-2010). This not-for-profit organisation is dedicated to improving the health system for all cancer patients, but particularly for private cancer patients in Australia. He has been involved in many advisory roles to private and public health care groups alongside roles with the Queensland and Australian Government, including ministerial negotiations around healthcare issues.